Friday, September 10, 2010

reflections from the front desk

So to cover while our normal front desk person is in training, I am at the front desk this morning (and by "this morning," I now mean last week, because I forgot to post this). Here are my reflections.

"Good morning...are you here for the tour?"
"We are!"
"Great. Where are you coming from?"
"La Mesa."
"Oh great, so not too fa--"
"Actually, silly me...it's Alpine. We're from Alpine."

Someone just came in with a two baby running stroller (over-achiever) and handed me payment for the early childhood center, which is on campus, but nowhere near this building. Then they just left.

It smells like a sick blend of the upstairs coffee and the downstairs coffee.

"I'm here to pick up my tickets for the Magic Mountain event."
"Oh great--you'll just want to go inside to Catharine."
Immediately, he comes back out with Catharine, because the tickets are right beside me, and says "So how does this whole Magic Mountain thing work?" What?? It's an amusement park! You just get there and go on rides and stuff.

"Hi, can I help you?"
Guy points to Bluetooth. "I KNOW, I KNOW, THERE'S NO GOOD TIME FOR SOMEONE TO PASS. UH HUH, UH HUH, WELL PRAISE THE LORD THAT SHE WENT WITHOUT A LOT OF PAIN. PRAISE THE LORD. OHHHH THAT'S THE WAY I'D LIKE TO GO! YES, YES, UH HUH, YES, WELL NO MATTER WHAT, NO MATTER HOW MUCH IT WAS HER TIME, SHE'S STILL SOMEONE'S GRANDMA, AND SOMEONE'S...MOM...YES...OH YES THERE IS NOTHING LIKE A GRANDMA HUG OH HO HO HO HHHHO! YES, WELL WE'LL TALK. I JUST WANT YOU ALL TO GET THE MOST OUT THE FACILITIES, AND MY STAFF. OK, OK GREAT. JUST GREAT."
Stop yelling. Stop yelling about a someone dying.

A certain middle aged lady from the office next door has walked by me three times and not only ignored my "good morning," but also refuses to make eye contact.

Some full grown girl with the voice of a tiiiny child just came in and said "Ok, um, hi, is there an envelope for me here?" There is, but tell your voice you're an adult, because you're creeping me out. Go to iTunes and listen to any Joanna Newsom song. That's what she sounded like.

Overheard from the secretaries at the counter next to me, but it's behind a wall, so they can't see me: "Ok, be honest. Which over the counter hair color brand is best?"

I love it. Old lady talk!

No comments:

Post a Comment