Thursday, September 17, 2009

super annoying high school visit that no one else will care about

locked="false" priority="64" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 2">

I just had to get this off my chest.

So I walked into this college center this morning to a (fat) lady (with a man's name), sitting at a desk. This ensues:

Me: "Hi I'm Shannon from Point Loma..." (hand extended)

Her: stares at me. This is the point in the traditional high school visit where a counselor usually greets me back, as they knew that I was coming because of our repeated email and phone contact, and the confirmation packet I sent.

Me: "Just here for my college visit...?" (hand still extended)

Her: "You don't want to shake my hand, I have bronchitis."

Me: "Oh...I'm sorry about that"

Her: "Am I expecting you?" (I don't know. Am I hungry? You tell me.)

Me: "Uh (and it takes a lot for me to start a sentence with UH), I'm not sure? You're on my schedule..."

Her: "Well you're not on mine."

Me: "Oh, I'm sorry about that. I may have gotten the wrong date." (no I did not.)

Her: "I don't have you on my calendar at all. But I have a lot of interested students, so can we schedule something?"

Me: (I know, because the list of students I sent you in my confirmation packet was pretty big) "I'm sorry--I don't have my calendar with me, but I will definitely call you ASAP." (I have no open spaces to come back to Rocklin)

Her: "Look at you...aren't you all dolled up? I guess black is the thing this Fall." (I can't tell, at this point, if she's trying to make up for me coming all the way over there, or if she just likes my dress).

Me: (yeah, black is pretty new, as far as business trends go) "Ha ha (fake fake), oh thanks, I sure do have a lot of black. Well let me leave you with some information about PLNU, and I'll be sure to reschedule with you soon!"
Her: "Ok, ok, thanks."

See email chain below. GIVE ME BACK MY CONFIRMATION PACKET!!!


Terrific, see you then.


930 is perfect. Thanks so much—I’ll look forward to seeing you then!

Shannon

Shannon Hutchison

Assistant Director of Undergraduate Admissions

Point Loma Nazarene University

619.849.2541

800.733.7770

How about 9:30? Will that work??


Thursday would be great—do you have any time in the morning?


Thanks again!

Shannon

Shannon Hutchison

Assistant Director of Undergraduate Admissions

Point Loma Nazarene University

619.849.2541

800.733.7770

Monday doesn’t work but I can do Wed. or Thurs.


Good evening—

I’m looking forward to my fourth year on the road representing Point Loma Nazarene University in NorCal, and would love a chance to visit your students. I will be in your area on the morning of Monday, September 14. Do you happen to have any time on the calendar that day for a college visit?

I hope your summer has been great…I can barely believe it’s almost over.

Best--
Shannon

Shannon Hutchison

Assistant Director of Undergraduate Admissions

Point Loma Nazarene University

619.849.2541

800.733.7770

No comments:

Post a Comment